Wife, Mummy, Nurse: Charis' Birth Story Cont. {Part 2}

25 August 2011

Charis' Birth Story Cont. {Part 2}

If you did not read Part 1 of Charis' birth story, click here.

The nurse came into the room and asked if she could do anything and if I wanted an Epidural.  Note: Before going into labor, I told my husband that if I had to have Pitocin, I'd most likely want an Epidural to help control the pain (and the nurse knew this as well).  So, in my case, I honestly don't think she was trying to be pushing medication on me.  She knew that I had planned on getting an Epidural.  I said, "Yes."  My husband thanked her because I was much more agreeable about getting the Epidural to her than I was with him.  The nurse then called the anesthesiologist and told him that she had a patient who wanted an Epidural and that her platelets are ___.  I forgot what she told the doctor my platelets were.  He said he'd be there shortly.

5 minutes later in walks Dr. Nicodemus.  Now, I started singing to myself, "Zacchaeus was a wee little man and a wee little man was he..."  I know WRONG Bible story, but for some reason, that's what I was thinking.  :-D  I had already signed the informed consent that morning as they were going through the admission paperwork.

The nurse had me sit up at the edge of the bed, leaning onto the tray table, and the nurse was standing opposite from me.  They had Drew sit down in a chair.  Dr. Nicodemus had a bit of a hard time putting it in.  He asked, if I had ever been told I had scoliosis.  I told him no.  He then told me that he believed I have a mild case of it.  I didn't care one bit.  All I cared about was getting on top of the pain and trying to stay there. He had to try 2 or 3 times.  Too be honest, I didn't care (and still don't).  The contractions were worse than the attempts.  I had been given medication to help numb the area.  So, it felt more like a pressure going in, instead of pain.  After the Epidural was in, the nurse told me to lie down on my back and stay there for 5-10 minutes so that the medication could disperse easily.  After 10 minutes, I rolled onto me side.  That was the worse part about labor for me-lying on my back.

For the next 1-2 hours, I felt nice.  Drew was able to go to the cafeteria and eat in the room.  Note: I told him to eat in the room.  I wanted him with me, but at the same time, I realized he needed to eat, especially since he had not eaten breakfast.  I had 2 small containers of Italian ice-DELICIOUS and refreshing.  I was able to rest (and occasionally fall asleep) between contractions...

But then I started "losing it" again

No comments:

Post a Comment