|Soaking flats in a bucket before|
But despite that, so far it seems to be going well. Yesterday, I put more detergent than I should have and had to rinse, rinse, rinse, and repeat. I also decided to wash diapers while Charis is napping or has gone to bed for the night. Yesterday, she was right over my shoulder and splashing the water-not that I blame her. She LOVES baths, swimming, splashing around, basically anything to do with water, but it's much easier when she's not right over my shoulder.
I'm glad for a few things:
- Using wool. Two of the covers I'm using are wool-one handknit by me and the other store bought. So I'm able to just air them out after Charis pees, plus they're breathable. Last year I used a pocket diaper at night, but it's nice that I only have to handwash a flat diaper. If I HAD to do this full time, I would probably use wool exclusively on my daughter.
- The bucket. I throw dirty diapers in the bucket so that they can get rinsed.
- An old toothbrush. Helps scrub poop stains out.
- Gloves. My hands would be raw if it weren't for gloves.
- This morning my flats were dry!!!
- It's nice to know that if I had to do this, I could. It helps me realize that I take many comforts in life for granted, instead of being thankful to God for them.
What are your thoughts on handwashing?
Join us at Dirty Diaper Laundry.