This past week, I made pierogi casserole. It was so good and lasted for at least 4 meals. Drew has given me permission to make it again.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2 lbs. potatoes
- 17.6 oz. (500 grams) Spaetzle egg noodles
- 2 onions
- 8 Tbsp. butter, divided
- 1/4 cup half and half
- 1 Tbsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 oz. cheddar cheese, shredded
1. Scrub, peel, and cut potatoes. Place in pot of water. Bring water to boil and cook potatoes until tender.
2. Cut up onions. Place 1 Tbsp. butter in pan and allow butter to melt. Add onions to pan and caramelize them.
3. Bring another pot of water to boil on stove. Follow the directions found on the package and cook Spaetzle egg noodles.
5. Once the potatoes are tender, drain. Mash the potatoes. Once potatoes are mashed, add 4 Tbsp. butter, 1/4 cup half and half, 1 Tbsp. garlic powder, 1 tsp. onion powder, and salt and pepper to taste. Feel free to add any other flavorings to the potatoes. The world is your oyster.
6. Once the potatoes are mashed, the onions are caramelized, and the Spaetzle noodles are cooked, get a 13 X 9 inch pan. Grease with butter. Put a layer of noodles on the bottom of the pan. Add the mashed potatoes on top. Then another layer of noodles. Place the caramelized onions on top of the noodles. Add shredded cheese. Pour over 3 Tbsp. melted butter on top of everything.
7. Bake in oven for 25-30 minutes at 350 degrees.