Happy Mother's Day!
This time a year ago, I was massively pregnant. My "due" date was April 30, but it came and went without any signs of labor. Believe it or not, I was not disappointed. Yes, I wanted my son to be born and to be able to hold him, but we lived (still live) in a one bedroom apartment. When I announced my pregnancy, I told most people my due date was "around May 8." I was "late" and induced with Charis.
After Charis was born, I decided that I did NOT want to be induced. When I found out I was pregnant, I called the midwife office that my friends spoke highly about, but when talking with the receptionist, they were business like, there was little warmth. I still scheduled an appointment with them, but asked my pastor's wife who her OB-GYN was. She gave me her OB's name and number. I called her office and the secretary was warm and friendly. Plus, I liked the fact that it was a practice with one doctor. I was able to see Dr. S. my entire pregnancy. I was upfront with her about not wanting to be induced I was assured that she would offer-but not force the issue (unless there was a medical concern). Thankfully, my doctor was true to her word.
Wednesday, May 7, 2014: I was miserable with a cold and had no desire to give birth while having difficulty breathing. I had an appointment with Dr. S. and let her strip my membranes. (If I have more children, I'll decline the stripping.) She told me I might have cramping, which I did, but it never progressed to anything. Once again, I was asked about being induced, and I decided to let the office schedule it. Later that afternoon, I was called with two possibilities: May 8 at 12 AM or May 11 at 7 AM. Drew and I decided on May 11. I wanted to give my body a few more days to go into labor naturally.
Saturday, May 10, 2014: I woke up around 5:30 AM and started having contractions. I started timing them. They were every 5-7 minutes, lasting anywhere from 30-60 seconds. They picked up to every 5 minutes, lasting about 1 minute. I called my doctor and was told to call back in an hour and update her. Nothing changed. The contractions kept occurring. There was a minor disagreement between Drew and me. Since I was positive for group B strep and needed antibiotics, he wanted to get to the hospital ASAP. I wanted to labor at home more. When I called Dr. S. back, she said that if I felt I needed to, I could come on in. Since Drew wanted that, we went to the hospital. Drew's mom came to our apartment to watch Charis.
On the way to the hospital my contractions, started to slow down. When I arrived on the floor, they had stopped altogether. I was examined in triage. The nurse told me I could try walking in order for the contractions to pick back up. I walked for 40 minutes. The contractions did not return. Dr. S. did an internal examination and I was discharged afterwards.
Drew and I went to walk around the mall and ate lunch at Chipotle. He called his mom to update her on everything. My (wonderful) MIL suggested that we stay at a hotel that night (instead of returning home and explaining to Charis why there was no baby). We checked in at the motel, and I took a nap on the bed. After all once the baby was born, I would not be getting much sleep. For dinner we ate at Applebees and went out to ice cream at Cold Stone Creamery. It's now a tradition to go to Cold Stone the night before I'm induced.
Did you deliver "early", on your "due date", or "late"?